It would be inaccurate to say that textual content is on the way out. After all, it’s hard to imagine a business world where text doesn’t hold weight in conveying messages and explaining value propositions. However, it’s clear that visual content is moving in and will stick around indefinitely. As a content marketer, it’s imperative that you understand when visual content is better than text content.
Why people respond to visuals
We live in a world where visuals do the talking. If you want to express yourself in a way that the masses can understand, then you must be willing to invest in visuals – there’s really no way around it. Not only is the human brain wired in a way that visuals are better received than text – but the search engines are gradually becoming rewired as well. Just consider the following statistics from this Ethos3 infographic on the topic:
- Content with visuals attract 94 percent more total views.
- In today’s market, content with visuals are 40 times more likely to be shared on social media.
- The human brain processes visuals 600,000 times faster than text.
- An impressive 90 percent of information sent to the brain is visual.
- 65 percent of people are classified as “visual learners.”
- It’s roughly 50 times easier to get a video ranked on the first page of Google than a standard article or blog post.
- Google is the second largest search engine in the world.
- Nine out of ten online shoppers say videos are helpful in making purchase decisions.
These facts are just a small fraction of reality. Visuals are clearly more effective at conveying messages than standalone text. Once you understand this, you can begin to use it to your advantage.
Sourced through Scoop.it from: blog.scoop.it
The data around image vs text is amazing… we live in an image and video culture and we are starting to understand why!